Greetings to the Northeast
Your NAE4-HA Northeast Region Directors wish all a wonderful and exciting 2000. We are representing you on the NAE4-HA Board of Directors. Look for communication via this newsletter about news and information. Please contact any of us for additional info or to share your thoughts and ideas.
This newsletter will be sent to the Northeast Region’s NAE4-HA state/unit presidents. Please share information with others in your state.
The Northeast Region’s Leadership Team does impact the future of NAE4-HA. One such opportunity is the REGIONAL OFFICERS WORKSHOP, February 24-26, 2000, at Annapolis, Maryland. Registration packets were sent in December should have been postmarked by January 10, 2000. Late registrations require an additional $25 late fee.
Meet Your Directors
Michael Martin, Junior Regional Director, from Pennsylvania, has been an Extension Agent for 13 years. Michael handles the state leadership lists and putting together the Northeast Region Leadership Directory, which will be distributed at the JCEP Regional Officers Workshop. Any changes, be sure and let him know. Michael also edits the Northeast Regional Newsletter. Associations may send news and information of regional interest to him.
Annette Devitt, Senior Regional Director, from New Jersey, has been an Extension Agent for 15 years. Membership and finance are her responsibilities. Annette would be interested in membership updates in addition to Chuck Leifeld. Reimbursement expenses from Annapolis will be handled with Annette’s help.
Regional Officer’s Leadership Workshop
Come, learn and be heard! Presidents and president-elects are encouraged to represent their respective state associations.
Registration materials mailed to presidents and president-elects were due back to JCEP c/o National Association Management, 740 B2 E. Flynn Lane, Phoenix, AZ 85014. (You may still register; deadline for room reservations is January 27.)
Plan ahead for Annapolis, February 24-26, at the Governor Calvert House. Registration begins mid-afternoon on Thursday. Time has been allotted to mix and mingle with other JECP members and our federal partners.
NAE4-HA will cover the expenses of one person from each state to attend this workshop at the following rates:
Lodging reimbursement will be made to one officer from each state for half of a double occupancy and for two nights (some accommodation for an extra night can be made to meet super saver airfare requirements). Air reimbursement will be made to one officer from each state for a ticket at a rate equal to the 21-day prior super saver coach fare, or less. Reimbursement for travel to the workshop in a personal vehicle at the current NAE4-HA mileage expense rate (31.5 cents per mile). Reimbursement for registration fee. Reimbursement will be made to only one association officer per state. Reimbursements for non covered registration meals will be made at the rate of: Breakfast $6.00, Lunch $9.00, Dinner $17.00
Purpose/Objectives of Officer Workshop:
- To help orient state presidents/contacts and state presidents-elect on structure, policies procedures, dates, etc. of NAE4-HA.
- To allow regional directors to become acquainted with state presidents; to assist them in their role as a state president and to help the region function better.
- To update state leadership on work done by NAE4-HA committees and to promote the NAE4-HA Annual Conference.
- To provide an updated report from representatives and to respond to concerns voiced from counties and states.
- To exchange ideas about State Associations and to provide opportunity for states to share their concerns and ideas.
- To make recommendations to NAE4-HA Board about the concerns within the region.
Please Bring to the Workshop:
- State President’s Handbook, NAE4-HA Handbook or copy from disk, Concerns and issues from your state
- 20 copies of your state report (see state handbook for example)
- One 4-H success story from each state
- Nominees from your state for leadership positions of regional director, committee contacts, contact-elects, treasurer, vice-president
- Dates of your state meeting
Tammera Beckham Update
Tammera Beckham is still recovery from her December 1998 accident. While she is improving, she is still doing physical therapy to regain skills she lost in the accident. On September 30, 1999, Tammera retired from Extension due to the disability from the accident. She was also named a Yellow Rose of Texas by Governor Bush. When presenting the award, State Representative Dianne White Delisis, cited Tammera’s many achievements and exemplary service to the 4-H program. Words of encouragement are always welcome. Her home address is 510 Northcliff Dr., Belton, TX 76513.
Regional Directors are available to make visits to states in the Northeast throughout the year to keep you up to date on what is going on in NAE4-HA. If your state is planning a conference, workshop or program and you would like for one of your directors to attend, give us a call.
The purpose of the state visit is to:
- Bring NAE4-HA board happenings to the state membership
- Assist state organizers with membership concerns or questions concerning their involvement with NAE4-HA and/or current NAE4-HA issues.
- Conduct educational seminars or programs as requested by the Host State.
- Work with host state officers to enhance or encourage nationalinvolvement and leadership by the Host State’s membership.
- Promote the NAE4-HA National Conference.
- Assist to strengthen the state association.
- State visits are paid for in the following way:
- NAE4-HA pays for all transportation costs to and from the Host State.
- Host State pays for meals, lodging, etc., while director is in Host State.
Things To Do List
- Regional Officers Workshop registration.
- State Report – 20 copies to Officer’s Workshop
- Possible candidate info of people considering a leadership position.
- Bring a copy of State Newsletter
- Please schedule Annette or Michael for a state visit. They can make two state visits besides their own state.
Who’s who in NAE4-HA
The following list of officers will be providing leadership to NAE4-HA during this year. Contact them if you have specific questions, concerns or ideas you would like to share.
PRESIDENT: JOHN CRITES, 1054 Monroe Rd. Suite 102, Lebanon, OH 45036-1415
PH: 513-932-1891, Fax: 513-933-1111, [email protected]
PRESIDENT ELECT: VERNON WALDREN, 8015 W. Center Rd., Omaha, NE 68124
PH: 402-444-7804, Fax: 402-444-6430, [email protected]
VICE PRESIDENT: KIRK ASTROTH, 210 Taylor Hall MSU, Bozeman, MT 59717
PH: 406-994-3501, Fax: 406-994-5417, [email protected]
SECRETARY: JIM KAHLER, ANPE-CF Bldg. 48 103 3rd Ave, Ft. McNair, DC 20319-5058 PH: 202-685-2035, Fax: 202-685-2003, [email protected]
TREASURER: CLYDE TAYLOR, P.O. Box 1385, Dalton, GA 30722-1385
PH: 706-278-8207, Fax: 706-272-7054, [email protected]
PAST PRESIDENT: DONNA MAC NEIR, 1999 Peach Ave., Madrid, IA 50156
PH: 515-795-3338, Fax:515-795-2107, [email protected]
NORTHEAST REGION DIRECTORS: MICHAEL MARTIN, 507 J. Orvis Keller Building, University Park, PA 16802-1308
PH: 814-863-2754, Fax: 814-863-2765, [email protected]
ANNETTE DEVITT, 51 Cheney Rd. Suite 1, Woodstown, NJ 08098
PH: 856-769-0090, Fax: 856-769-1439, [email protected]
NAE4-HA is committed to the active involvement of all its members regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political belief, sexual orientation, and marital or family status. All members will be encouraged to participate in programs and activities and take leadership roles in the association.